Thursday 20 October 2011

MUSEUM of DANCE


NYSSSA SCHOOL OF DANCE

The National Museum of Dance in Saratoga Springs, New York, has exhibits as well as three spacious studios used by NYSSSA.
Is there heaven on earth? Living and working intensively with a group of passionate dancers, choreographers, and educators comes pretty close. Throw in access to gorgeous studios at the National Museum of Dance and Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs; 35 young dancers hungry to learn modern dance; projects with the American Dance Legacy Institute; and visits by other dance scholars and artists. This heaven is the New York State Summer School of the Arts (NYSSSA) in Dance. While NYSSSA’s ballet program is conducted in conjunction with New York City Ballet’s season at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center, this 4-week modern dance intensive is directed by former Paul Taylor dancer and Juilliard faculty member Carolyn Adams along with her sister Julie Adams Strandberg, who heads Brown University’s dance program. Every year, the pair assembles a dynamic faculty including musicians, professional dancers, and established and emerging choreographers who set and create work on talented teenagers from New York State. With the age spread of the faculty and guest artists plus the presence of family members ranging in age from just a few months old to nonagenarians, NYSSSA Dance feels like an intergenerational artist village. I have had the privilege of serving on the staff and faculty side of NYSSSA Dance for several summers - and it was there that I really started researching and teaching - so it holds special significance for me. It is one of my artistic homes, populated by an inspiring and supportive artistic family.
This year is the 20th season of NYSSSA Dance, and I spent last week in Saratoga to help with preparations for an alumni reunion and to reconnect with colleagues and former students. Each morning, I joined students and other faculty in rigorous classes taught by Carolyn Adams, Robert Battle (director of Battleworks Dance Company), and Battleworks dancer Erika Pujic. The teenagers spent the rest of their days in rehearsals with Robert & Erika; Toronto-based choreographer Danny Grossman (another former Taylor dancer) & dancers Eddie Kastrau and Laura Bennett; Jessica Lang; Kanji Segawa; and Marisa Ballaro (a NYSSSA alum herself). Meanwhile, I kept myself busy by assisting with some logistics, taking a little time in the studio to improvise, and treating my sore muscles to a mineral bath (Saratoga is known for its spas). Even better, I had the opportunity to coach dancers in a few works for Saturday night’s faculty concert. I started serving as a rehearsal assistant while I was injured in college and grew to love this role, keeping it even after my body healed and I returned to the stage; in fact, with my graduate degree in directing dances from Labanotation scores, I spent plenty of time leading rehearsals and polishing pieces for performance. I relished jumping back into this position after a year away, and armed with a more thorough understanding of dynamics and energy from my experience dancing in Israel, I had fun applying this knowledge in my coaching.
The reunion weekend itself was terrific. I caught up with old friends and met other alumni at receptions, took Robert Battle’s invigorating master class, enjoyed a lecture-demonstration showcasing NYSSSA students in the repertory they were learning, taught part of Donald McKayle’s Rainbow Etude for an alumni workshop, and proudly watched the dancers I coached in the faculty concert. I also celebrated late into the evening for a few nights (what else can you do when you have such a great group of people assembled with good food and music?), so while I already miss everyone, I’m happy to get some more sleep again!
Here are some photos from my week in Saratoga, and soon I’ll also post some from the faculty concert.
Clapping and drumming on the floor to applaud master class teacher Robert Battle and musician Tom Farrell.
Teaching part of Donald McKayle’s Rainbow Etude for an alumni workshop. Photo by NYSSSA co-director Julie Strandberg.
Demonstrating more of Donald McKayle’s Rainbow Etude for an alumni workshop. Photo by Julie Strandberg.
Laura Bennett’s Reverieduring dress rehearsal for the faculty concert. Laura is the program coordinator for NYSSSA dance, and because she was also dancing in this piece, I helped out as rehearsal assistant. The dancers are Amy Marie Burns, Erika Pujic, Jude Sandy, Melody Gamba, Laura Bennett, and Marisa Ballaro. Photo by Laura Frank, who is also a NYSSSA counselor.
Some of the NYSSSA alumni, faculty, and family members after an alumni brunch. There are talented NYSSSA alumni studying dance in college, performing with major choreographers like Mark Morris and Bill T. Jones, dancing on Broadway, choreographing, directing their own companies, and teaching dance in a variety of settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment